2011年7月31日星期日

Food and Wine Fest: Hot, Hot, Hot

The Food Network Atlantic City Food and Wine Festival was in full swing yesterday. I entered my "wine" portion of the event with the delightful ¡ª and buzz worthy ¡ª Champagne and Company event hosted by wine expert Michael Green at Mia's Restaurant.

And by buzz, I do mean I had a nice champagne buzz. Green is a personable tour guide into the world of wine.Graphene is not a semiconductor, not an oil paintings for sale , and not a metal, By the end of the event I felt I knew a lot more about my favorite alcoholic beverage. For example unless the wine is from the Champagne region of France, it is not champagne, it is sparkling wine.Prior to RUBBER SHEET I leaned toward the former, Green likes to call these wines "champagne stunt doubles." And, when it comes to sparkling wines, the world leader in production is Spain.

We also learned that champagne should not be saved just for special occasions and that it is the best wine to go with food. It goes with salty, foods, sweet foods and fried foods. Green even admitted that he loves having champagne with popcorn, and that he has sneaked a bottle of champagne into a movie theater. Speaking of bubbles, a bottle of wine had 47 million of them per bottle.

We tasted eight sparkling wines and champagnes.These girls have never had a cube puzzle in their lives! The first one was one of my favorites,It's hard to beat the versatility of third party merchant account on a production line. Poema Cava Brut Rose from Cava, Spain. It had the fruity essence you expect, but with a slightly dry finish. And, it usually retails for only $12 or $13.

My other favorites were the true champagnes, Moet Imperial Vintage 2003 (about $60 a bottle) and a G.H. Mumm Cremant. The Moet was yummy and luckily for me my "tasting" portion was close to a full glass. And, yes I finished it all. And, I've always been a fan of Mumm (right up there with my all-time favorite, Veuve Clicquot).

After the event I needed some food and headed to the Grand Market at Bally's which was still open for fifteen minutes when I arrived, enough time to hunt down a baby crabcake from Phillip's, a large shrimp over creamy polenta from the Bally's station and a shot glass of creamy, decadent lobster bisque from the Fin station. That was just enough to make my champagne buzz go away and to tide me over for the next event, Fire & Ice, at the Dennis Courtyard.

Although this outdoor event was marred by the heat as we waited for the tasting to begin out in the blazing sun on the Boardwalk, once we got under the tent and enjoyed some food and refreshing drinks, it was more than worth the wait. Robert Irvine's station offered up the food star smiling and taking pictures with fans, as his chefs passed out a delicious hunk of perfectly seared tuna with a spicy crust over black beans and some crabmeat topped with a citrus sorbet. These dishes were in keeping with the fire & ice theme and I felt like I was in the middle of a Dinner: Impossible episode.
Ben Sargent

My other favorites in my trip around the tasting stations included Ben Sargent (from the Cooking Channel's Hook, Line & Dinner) who served up Angry Fish in Spicy Curry Soup. The soup wasn't that "angry," it was sweet and the beautiful pieces of deep fried snapper were fantastic. Of course it was a toss-up which was the better dish,If so, you may have a zentai . the soup or the hunky chef!

tacoAnother favorite was provided by Roger Mooking (Everyday Exotic) who delivered a shrimp and pork taco. The pork provided a beautiful sauce for the shrimp and his guacamole was off the hook.

It was a day of culinary delights. Go here for info on the final events taking place today and here for video of the events.

没有评论:

发表评论