2011年6月30日星期四

at least that's what I thought up until last week

One-hundred dollar bills: the elusive Canadian banknote reminiscent of birthday cards from wealthy relatives and expensive cash purchases made through the classified ads.What to consider before you buy oil painting supplies. Without bank machines dispensing them and with many businesses refusing them in the last decade, the 100-dollar note could be viewed as the interest-free savings bond of the 21st century.

On June 20, The Bank of Canada announced that our home and native land would be "expanding the frontiers of bank note security" by making the switch to polymer bank notes.

Living next to America,Shop a wide selection of billabong outlet products in the evo shop. the homeland of colourless bills evocative of childhood board games, makes any new currency innovation Canada comes up with seem revolutionary and futuristic. In actuality, however, the "new and technologically innovative" notes will merely allow our country to join the ranks of Mexico, Romania, Vietnam, and polymer leader Australia, a nation that has been using the plastic notes for twenty years.

In 2002, a Canadian counterfeit crisis sparked a rejection of large domination banknotes at stores everywhere. Businesses quickly printed signs announcing their refusal to accept $100,the Injection mold fast! and often $50 notes, sometimes with the explanation of high counterfeit occurrence, and sometimes with no explanation at all.

The temporary signs gradually became more colourful, laminated, and found a permanent place on the cash registers of stores far and wide. For nearly all intents and purposes, Canada had become a nation operating on plastic cards, three small banknotes and heavy pockets filled with change.

My heaviest money-spending years have been in the last decade, one which established a familiar procedure of receiving a $100 note from Gramps in a birthday card, pausing for a moment to admire Borden's moustache, and then quickly sprinting to the nearest bank to break or deposit it.you will need to get an offshore merchant account. Recent internet advances have encouraged me to hide my bills someplace safe in order to facilitate my next large Kijiji purchase.

I thought $100 bills had gone the way of the personal cheque: banks and friends will accept them, but businesses have moved on. I assumed every country operated this way, and I carried my reluctance to use large bills with me on last year's obligatory twenty-something European solo backpacking adventure.The name "magic cube" is not unique. To my surprise, €100 and €50 were not only readily available; they were readily dispensed from the bank machines!

My initial surprise was quickly replaced by the wavering confidence of a newbie backpacker as I established a fool-proof plan: I would carry the €100s until I could ask--in an appropriately apologetic Canadian tone--if the 100s were accepted. Once reassured, I would spend them safely.

没有评论:

发表评论